Describe the first time you used a Foreign Language.
What you should say:
- Where you were
- What the situation was
- Who you communicated with and explain why you used a foreign language to communicate on this occasion.
- Used vocabularies:
- The best of my recollection: (expression) If i remember correctly. Example: I was not present at that meeting, to the best of my recollection.
- Hanging out (phrase verb): Spending a lot of time at a particular place but doing no special activity. Ex: My friends and I enjoy hanging out at our local coffee shop, just chatting and enjoying a coffee.
- Came up to (phrasal verb) Approached. Example: My manager came up to me and shook my hand
- Catch everything: (Expression) hear or understand everything that he said. Ex: At the train station, it was too noisy for me to hear all the information clearly, and i was unable to catch everything.
- Body language: (Noun) The way that you show what you feel or think by moving your body. Example: Sometimes, our teacher uses body language, not words, to help to communicate an idea.
- Headed for: (phrasal verb) Moved in a particular direction. Ex: After the show finished, everyone headed for the exits.
- Have a good command of: (expression) Have a good knowledge of something. Example: People apply this job must have a good command of English, in order to communicate with our American customers.
2. The sample answer:
I have been learning English for a long time but i haven’t had many chances to practice English speaking with native speakers. To the best of my recollection that the first i used English to foreigner was on New Year Eve three years old ago.
At that time, I was hanging out with my friends on Nguyen Hue street. Suddenly, a foreigner came up to me and asked for directions to a supermarket. To be honestly, he spoke too quickly for me to catch everything but after he repeated his words, i finally understood and showed him the way to the nearest supermarket. I used body language a lot to explain the direction to him. Since, i didn’t speak English well then. After that, he said “Thank you” to me and headed for the supermarket.
I realize that English plays an important role in our life. Despite the fact that we don’t live in English speaking countries but it is spoken globally and it’s becoming dominant language. Therefore, I have been trying to practice English daily so that i can have a good command of this language, and i can talk confidently with foreigners, whatever the topic of conversation.